Saturday, July 23, 2011

Conversations With Liza

Liza had only one word when we got her out of the orphanage. That was "Nyet" (No). I'm putting her clothes on her, she's chanting "net-net-net!". I'm brushing her hair, she's chanting "net-net-net!" Washing her hair, "net-net-net!" You get the picture, right? It was kind of annoying, yet kind of cute at the same time. I should have known then what we were in for.

Now that she's been home for eight months she's learned to communicate lots more words through either signing or speaking, mostly signing. In the beginning she just used one sign at a time, signing "juice" for juice, signing "daddy" to ask for Daddy, signing "eat" when she was hungry, etc. Lately she's been stringing signs together to really have conversations with us. It's really been fun to watch her transition and grow like she has.


Last night as I was getting her out of the bath tub, ok wait, let me rephrase that. Last night after the water drained out of the tub so she would finally get out, she started whining and "crying". Basically, she was having a fit cause she does not like getting out of the water, and here comes Austin to the rescue. She won't get out for me, even with the water gone so Austin gets a towel, takes her out, and wraps her up. This is the series of signs that followed and my interpretation of that conversation.

Liza signs:

  1. Brother
  2. cry
  3. myself/mine "points to her nose" (she made this one up herself)
  4. brother again
  5. work
This is Mom's interpretation of what she was trying to tell me, and if you had seen her grin during this whole convo you would know that I am spot on!

"Mom, when I cry my brothers come running to make it better. That's the way it works."


Yep, that's exactly the way it works and on one hand I know I am in deep doo-doo, but on the other hand I'm just so glad I get to be a part of watching her be the Princess of our household. She's got us all wrapped. And we are totally fine with that.

No comments: