Sunday, March 1, 2009

Music and Life: Austin, Noah, Johnny Cash and CDB


In our house we love to laugh at the dinner table. I've mentioned it before. Too bad Ricky was sleeping tonight cause this one caused some of us to bust a gut. He wasn't amused...again.

Recently in Music Appreciation class Austin was introduced to the song,"Devil Went Down to Georgia". As a good Southern girl, and fan of CDB, I am a little ashamed to admit that he doesn't remember ever hearing this song before. I'm blaming it on the idea I once had that it was wrong to like a song that talked about a boy making a deal with the devil. I have since come to the conclusion that "the d" gets his butt whooped so it's ok. I'm sticking with that. But, I digress.

So, back to the point. Austin was introduced to the song recently and tonight during dinner preparation and at the table we were discussing the song and who's heard it and who might sing it. Someone mentioned that Johnny Cash sang it ( we corrected that later) and that sent my boys off on a small foray into song writing. It was quite hilarious and I HAD to share.

Here's how it went down:

Austin: "Ew Ew! Noah and I made up a remix about this song!"

This is when they both started thumping their chests in rhythm.

Boys: "The Devil went down to Georgia. He was looking for a soul to steal. When he saw Johnny Cash playing a piccolo, and he said "let's make a deal". And as he rosined up his bow he said, "Play that funky music white boy!""

Maybe it was only funny to us or you had to be there. We thought it was hilarious. Skippy and I cracked up so hard I'm surprised we didn't both choke on our soup.

2 comments:

Amanda Jones said...

LOL! That's funny to me! LOL!

Amanda-Adopting Ean and Mila

Anonymous said...

Play that funky music white boy!!! LOL!! That is hilarious!