Monday, July 7, 2008

Living the Red Letters

So, last night I said I was going to post about Tom Davis' book "Red Letters" and I am determined that's what I am going to do. So, then, why do I find myself reading everyone's blog that I haven't checked lately and googling silly unimportant stuff? It's not because I don't want to or because I didn't enjoy reading it, I do and I did. I'm pretty sure it's for the same reason that sometimes when I knew I had time to read I would find something else to do or read some silly story that just entertained me for a minute. The enemy knew that there was Truth in that book and he didn't want me to find it, that's why. He wants to keep us distracted from the work that our Father wants us to do. And He does want all of us to be a part of helping those who are in need, I truly believe this. There aren't only a few who are called to go and to serve and that's it. It's left to them. We are ALL called to serve our Brothers and Sisters in need in some form.

Once I would throw off all the distractions and sit down with this book I devoured it. I love how Tom puts real stories of real people in his books. It's so much easier to empathize with a person than to apply emotion to statistics. The stories are all sad and they're all true. There are people hurting all over this world and we are the answer. It sounds so simple but if everyone who calls themselves a Christ-lover would show themselves to be people-lovers a HUGE difference could be made. People's lives could be changed, justice could be served. Little girls should not have to prostitute themselves to feed younger brothers and sisters.

I don't really know what else to say. It's an amazing book with truth that every Christian needs to read, but not just so you can say you've read it. Let it ignite a fire in you, read the stories and imagine if that was your son or daughter. The only reason it's them in the story and not you and your family is just where they happened to be born, the circumstances they happened to have been born into. It could easily have been us or could easily become us.

If you're like me and you want to help but don't know how to get started there are lots of resources in Chapter 10 of "Red Letters" and also on Tom's blog. You could even begin by just helping to provide clean drinking water. I know there is so much more I wish that I could do, but I just keep reminding myself that doing a little bit of something is better than doing nothing at all.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Amen. . .Amen. . Amen!!!

No more words to say!
Brandi