Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm Backkkkk!!

All right, I guess I need to explain the esophagus reference. Last Monday(my day off of work)Rickydoodle, The Boys, and I went to town and roamed around a bit. After we drove all over the place and Rickydoodle looked at a few cars, while The Boys and I just looked at each other, we all decided we were hungry and since we had a gift card to one of our fave Big Chain Italian Restaurants we should go there for lunch. Sounded like a great plan so that's what we did. We were seated, ordered our food and got the Big Bowl of Salad to share. Everything is running smoothly, just like you would expect. Until I took a bite of salad, swallowed, and, "Uh OH!", something was not going so smoothly anymore. I don't know what I did but I just knew I had something stuck in my throat! I drank lots of water, nothing; I coughed and gagged, nothing; Rickydoodle tried hitting me on the back, nothing! So, we ended up in the ER and after being there for about FIVE hours the doctor finally came and told me he was pretty sure that I had scratched my esophagus and it would heal on its own after a couple weeks. He gave me a prescription for Magic Mouthwash and told me to eat only soft foods for a while then he sent me home. What a way to spend my day off! And the food we ordered we took in doggy bags, but after five hours in our car we were afraid to eat it. What a way to spend our gift card!

I look at that now and can see the humor in it. I am still trying to figure out how in the world you can scratch your esophagus on a bite of SALAD!? Really?! Plus, I am usually a pretty fun loving, easy going person and when I told my sister what happened to me, She laughed! :) Oh, and if you ever scratch your esophagus, EAT CHOCOLATE PUDDING! I don't know what it was about that pudding but after the first spoonful I no longer had the sensation of having something wedged in my throat. It was like a miracle to me. Plus it was chocolate and I had a great excuse to eat as much as I wanted! So there you go.

At the time it was scary and I just kept asking God what was going on. We were already stressed over our HS and dealing with a Social Worker who was MIA, Rick's truck just up and quit on us, and then I end up in the ER. I have to say now, that I can list some good that I saw after the fact. Sometimes I think that He just has to put us in a place when it seems so rough that we have no choice but to step back and reevaluate. That day I realized that my husband really does mean it when he says that he doesn't know what he would do without me. He was right there for me all day and held my hand when I was so scared I just cried. Church family came by the hospital to sit with us and pray with us. One of the pastors even sat out in the waiting room with our kids until my mom came to pick them up. Others called and prayed for me over the phone. I saw the Love of Jesus, through their love for me.

So, I guess, it wasn't such a bad way to spend a day off after all. In the grand scheme of the whole thing. Now, that's not saying I want to do it again anytime soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could it have been a crouton? :)