Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Nurture

I work as a... um...what's the Politically Correct term again...oh yeah, School Nutrition Services Employee(in other words, I'm a Lunch Lady). I like the job because it allows me to be off work when my kids are off school and the hours are great. The pay is not, but I'll take the good with the bad. One of the other things I really like about it is that I get to interact with the kids. I love kids. I should have been a teacher but didn't always make wise choices and one of those was not going to college.

Today I was at an elementary school and I got to work on the serving line. I love to watch all the kids come in and listen to them interact with each other. Sometimes they are too hilarious. Today when the First grade came through the very last kid in the very last class was a little boy who had obviously been crying. Of course, the first thing we asked him was if he's ok and, of course, he said yes. With his little bloodshot eyes and swollen red face. About this time his teacher came in, had a little heart to heart with him, took off the little guys glasses, gave him a tissue and helped him wipe his eyes. It was all very sweet and I was so impressed with said teacher.

"So what", you might say, "teachers handle these types of situations every day." And you would be right. The difference today was that this teacher was male and when he came back around the line and saw this little boy crying I fully expected him to take him by the shoulder and tell him to buck up and get over it. He did take him by the shoulder and they had a little "man to man", I don't know what was said but I know that the young man got himself together and was able to get his lunch and go on his way. I just can't get out of my mind the gentle way that the teacher helped him to dry his face and go on. I guess you could say it "warmed my heart".

No comments: